Leighton Hill, c.1950
It is situated between Wong Nai Chung and Leighton Hill Roads, named after a Leighton company which was established there in the 1840s.
In the 1930s, the Government constructed the Leighton Hill civil servants' residences and Po Leung Kuk also moved to the vicinity.
When the Japanese invaded Hong Kong on December, 1941, Leighton Hill was a fierce battleground. A Japanese Myoho Temple was built on the hill, but demolished after 1945.
Today, the civil servants' residences have been replaced by a high-class resident blocks.
The name of Leighton Hill Road was changed to Leighton Road in the 1950s. ■鄭寶鴻 香港歷史博物館名譽顧問